Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Big Job That's Worth The Effort...


This picture is titled "The Big Job"... Click on title for link.

Disclaimer: I did not choose the picture for any other reason than it made me giggle and I thought it was cute since we were mentioning "The Big Job" and all. So... Moving on...

I have so many things I have been wanting to post here, but have not been able to make it to the keyboard to do so. I did come across this post, and I really just wanted to share it. I am sure that there are many mothers, especially,and, yes, some fathers, too, who can echo what this mother expresses in this post below. I wonder how many, actually.

Anyway, please do take the time to read this post by Medea at Perogies & Gyoza, a Canadian mama in Japan. Just click on her name, and it will take you directly there. It is a post that echoes the challenges of having a child learning two languages and the battle of keeping balance between the mother tongues of both parents. There is sometimes jealousy or hurt involved, but there is also tremendous pride. Medea expresses herself honestly and eloquently, and I just felt it was worth reading.

And, since I am having issues leaving comments right now; Here is what I wanted to say to her, but could not publish...

"You are clearly a mama who cares and is interested in the best for her children. Keep up the good, and hard, work of pouring into your kids. They are sponges, ready to take whatever you have to pour into them, so I DO believe that there will come a day when you will see the fruit of your labor. We live in Italy, go to school here, and are daily confronted with Italian, but my kids also love the English language. I battle with similar things that you are battling, but I am also encouraged that, at their own pace, and in their own time, they are getting it. It may not be the way I hope, but... Don't we spend our whole lives learning? A little maturity, a lot of opportunity, and our pouring into them... it all goes to building up kids who WILL eventually get it. Keep up the good work, Medea mama. You can do it. You are not alone in your journeying."

Okay, if anyone knows her, please DO pass on that message. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I cannot leave her a message. Bummer, but... I did make a post out of it. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment