Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Valuable Info On "The Silent Period"!!!...


"As we know children in the silent period should not be forced to speak before they are ready. They need time to listen to others talk, understand what they hear, and observe their peers’ interactions with each other. Even when they are silent, they are learning the language!"

You can find more information on the "Silent Period" on these two posts. The first post is called "Understanding the Silent Period", and the second is called "Silent Period- Suggestions for the classroom teacher"

Thank you!!

My kids all had a long silent period, and began utilizing words around 3 and 3 1/2. I heard so many negative things about this, but I knew it was the norm for my kids. I knew that they would be just fine given time to just sponge up the languages, two at a time, and that they would join in the communication chaos when they were ready. In fact, my second was silent for so long my husband began to get really worried... until he turned 3. Now we have a hard time making him hush. :-) But, it makes me glad. It proved my "gut feelings" correct. So now, as we are dealing with the same things in my youngest two, well, I am trying to remember those "set and confident" feelings I had those years ago. Somewhere along the line, I forgot that it is normal, and they will be okay.

But, as my memory is getting refreshed, so is that "set and confident" me. Thank you to those of you who have taken time to post such great and useful information for moms like me who just need a reminder that we are on the right path. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment