Sunday, June 19, 2011

Homemade Birthday Parties In Italy: L's 2nd Birthday In 2006...

Living in Italy, and not being near my usual resources for cheap buying, was a challenge at first. I know where to find the things I need at the local (in PA) Michaels, AC Moore, dollar stores. That is where I most likely would rely on buying my birthday needs. Oh, and probably Sam's Club, too... If that is still around. hahahah... But, I don't have that here. So, I have resorted to using what I have, making stuff, or buying simple additions to make birthday parties fun and unique. I plan ahead and scour the internet for game and activity ideas that are practical, easy and fun for the ages involved, and I make my own cakes. I bought at first, but when the bakers decided they did not like to listen to MY preferences for the cake we were buying, I decided it was best to make my own.

I had to adjust a lot of my plans for this simple fact: parties need to be bilingually friendly for us.

So... I will begin with the first birthday I have digitally recorded in our files since we have lived here... By the way, at the time, I was still trying to figure out how to make occasions like these special without my usual resources. This party was the simplest of them all, but it began my journey to making fun, homemade parties for my family. I slowly found my "groove". :-)

My third son, L's, second birthday party in May 2006.



The party is based on this verse:
Psalm 139:13-14
New International Version (NIV)
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.



2's, Hands, and Feet frame the theme poster.


I made this poster with the verse: "This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24)It is written in Italian. It is one of my favorite verses for birthdays. I use it almost every year. I still have this poster, too. :-) I also made construction paper balloons to frame the corners. Turned out cute and colorful.


I used foam rug number 2's to decorate the wall!! I put half red and half green paper against the back to make it bright and stand out.


A "brothers" photo. My first three boys!! Love this giggling picture. Miss them being small like that.


What better way to celebrate how God created us than to utilize Mr. Potato Head pieces symbolizing parts of the body. :-) I really like how the idea just came about. Really like how simple but fun it is. Don't be afraid to use toys or objects you have around your house for cake toppers. Super easy way to make a cake look good. :-) And quick, too.


Here is my two year old L posing for his cake photo!! What a cutie pie.


Guests included various friends of ours, mostly adults without kids. But... we also had my husband's parents and his sister and her family. Not all are shown here.


These are some of the kids that came and posed for the cake photo. At two years of age, not all are willing participants. :-)


At this age, games were simply having balls out to chase after and throw around. Ballons were a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment