Wednesday, June 8, 2011

"Crafts For Better Reading" According To Scribbit...

I have had this post bookmarked since Michele over at Scribbit: A Blog About Motherhood In Alaska wrote it.

What a great idea! To take the favorite-for-now storybook and make it the center of a learning activiy; adding crafts and activities to really make a message, a story, a life, characters more real, more tangible, remembered.

You HAVE to see what Michele accomplished based on Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, Little House In the Big Woods. I read this to my kids last year, and ALL of them loved it; even my boys. It is full of educational opportunities. I will have to do a post just on those sometime. :-) Explanations of how they did things in the past, even with pictures... So interesting, and fun.

Anyhow, I enjoyed this post, and would love to be able to do as she did, with a touch of craftiness, to make the characters come alive for my daughter. As Michele states... "You could do similar activities with other great children's books--Charlie and the Chocolate Factory could inspire an entire world of candy creations that the little people could explore, Little Women could have a similar set up to what you see here. The Chronicles of Narnia would be beautiful with salt dough lions and wolves and beavers, and the White Queen would be the best as a peg doll. King Arthur and his knights, fairy tales, the Beverly Cleary books, Winnie the Pooh, the Jungle Books, there are plenty of worlds you could create."

Now go see what she did with Little House In The Big Woods!! Enjoy, and Have fun being creative!!!

To see other "crafts and activities" that Michele has posted on, click HERE. I use her ideas EVERY summer to keep my kids busy and new things in the mix of our days. You may also find some really fun and useful ideas, and you may ending up having some fun yourself. At least, I can say that I walked around with a smile on my face as I heard my kids creating, learning, and having fun at the same time. Great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment